Saturday 9 April 2011

Yorkshire Glory!

Today, me and my friend Katie went and explored one of the wonders of Yorkshire: Castle Howard. Having already been once before, I was looking forward to it as I know its beauty. To get there, we had to get an hour bus through the countryside which was, to say the least, very bumpy. BUT we did get to see some very young lambs and calves as we whizzed through the countryside- soo cute! Similar to the ones on Lambing Live that has been on the BBC this week actually.
Having finally arrived, we headed to the main house. More like a Manor, Castle Howard is a huge beauty, and me and Katie were rather excited. Katie saw a lake, and kept on calling Colin Firth to arrive out of it.
The interior of Castle Howard is decorated beautifully, the with birds painted on wallpaper, and marble statues placed everywhere. Unfortunately, the main dome was ruined by a fire in 1940, so it was re-constructed, but some of the original paintings were lost.
We then payed for a rather expensive but yummy lunch, and having stuffed ourselves on chicken pie and cheesecake, walked around the grounds for the rest of the afternoon. It was truly lovely, the sun was out, the daffodils were in bloom and spring is really in the air!
I really would recommend going to Castle Howard. I have been twice now and both times the house and grounds have really spoke to me of the workmanship and beauty that God can create, through man and nature. Go, I tell you, go!

Adios for now, but here's a few pictures of the place :)


Beautiful wallpaper
My dream bookshelf!




No comments:

Post a Comment